Friday 5 September 2014

University worries


Honestly, calling myself a "fresher" feels so weird. But it's that time of year when I can officially consider myself a fresher. I'm moving to the UK ( and I will be going to University of Leeds and doing Human Resource Management) in exactly 10 days' time and I still can't wrap my head around it, not even a little bit. It all feels a bit unreal, but it's happening whether I like it or not. So I thought why not write up a little post about it all, because the frustration is reaching critial levels, haha. Here's what I'm worried about, and how I'm trying to cope with all those things. Hope it helps some ofyou who are going through the same.

What to pack? It might sound silly but when you're moving abroad, or even cross country it's so hard trying to figure out what to pack. I'm packing right now and I can tell you - it sucks. I have to fit all my stuff in a suitcase, and I only have 21kg plus hand luggage. Basically, that covers the essentials and a few extra bits and bobs. I would advice taking sheets and a pillowcase with you, and ordering a duvet and a pillow online, so that they can be ready and waiting for you in your room when you arrive. I'll probably order mine from click2campus. Also, use vacuum bags for your clothes. Loads of them. This will save you LOADS of space and it keeps things somewhat organised.

Am I going to fit in? This is something everyone's worried about, I think. When you're moving to a new place, and especially when you move to another country it can be such a frustrating and depressing thought. But remember, we're all in the same boat here. I'll try and go to as many parties as possible for fresher's week. It's a great way to meet new people, and hey, if you're not a party person, I'm sure you'll find someone exactly like you, and you can bitch about how boring it is together (yeah, that'll probably be me). You could get a wristband to get into all the events which make is a lot easier. Also, the first few days after moving in, leave your door open so that you can meet your flatmates.

Did I choose the right course? I'm so worried about this right now. But I mean which 19 year old person knows exactly what they're going to do with their life? I know I don't. My decision was well thought-out, I spent endless hours on the Leeds university website (and probably you have, too) researching, getting familiarized with the course and modules, pitying myself for choosing a course with Economics in it. But in the end, all that matters is that I can change my decision at any time, and that a degree in Management doesn't necessarily mean a career in management. What I want to do is enjoy myself, get the best out of my university experience, and mostly, build new relationshpis and connections.

Hope I didn't bore you to death with this rant, but I had to get it off my chest. How was your university experience, and if you're starting this year like me, are you worried, too?

7 comments:

  1. Such a coincidence! I literally JUST published a post on my going to uni! I'm starting in a few weeks so I'll be a fresher too and I'm worried too. I think everyone worries, it's only natural. It's a big step and a big change, but you've got to trust in your decision and hope for the best. What more can you do?

    Elesaurus | elesaurusrawr.blogspot.com
    YouTube - Eleanor Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, great minds, haha :) Definitely, trying to cope with the stress is so hard though. But we'll manage, I'm sure!

      Delete
  2. I was very nervous when I started uni! I did two years, hadn't really fit in, and decided it just wasn't for me which made me really sad! I have been researching programs though, and I think I will going back next year in PR as its something I am genuinely interested in! I hope everything works out for you! You are so brave to be moving countries for school!!
    xx

    Alexandra | The A Style | Beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you :) hope everything works out well for you, too. Good luck with the whole PR thing, it's definitely great that you've found something that you're genuinely interested in!

      Delete
  3. 3rd time lucky at trying to post a comment:
    My top tips for you (I'm a second year uni student)
    1. claim fridge & cupboard space within your first week
    2. Boundarys - make sure your roomies know that if they're using your stuff wash/dry/put away - always applies!
    3. Don't agree to some nonsense of sharing food - you will be de stressed when they eat your last chicken nuggets
    4. Make the most of the free stuff as discounts going around in freshers !! Beens on toast will be your life at some point at uni so the free stuff really does count (P.S you can never have enough tins of beens)
    5. When going out - go out in big groups! The locals will spot a fresher a mile away and may take advantage
    AND ENJOY YOURSELF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the detailed tips, I'll definitely try to not go out alone, like ever. And I'm all for the freebies, will get all the free stuff I possibly can, haha :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read my babblings, I try to answer every signle comment, so make sure you leave one (and a blog link as I love checking new blogs out)! Love, Hristina!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...